My husband is a Jazz musician, so, for the Jazz Festival, I wanted to weave him a new vest…. (last year, I wove him a new shirt).
I started weaving the vest in April, (LINK to post) so you would think that I could have gotten it done for the end of June, right?
Well…. I did…. but…. Oh my! I was scrambling at the end to get it done so he could do this:
It began here in April:
I started out weaving the narrow bands for his vest on my vintage Structo loom.
I was freeformie Saori-ing and then thought that I should check with Jim to see if he wanted it more sedate…
and he voted for not going wild, but keeping it plain and simple.
I enjoyed weaving the narrow fabric on the Structo, but knew that it wouldn’t be enough for the vest,
so, I wove some inkle bands on my Mirrix Loom:
(The red band became part of a prayer flag and an inkle doll.)
I was juggling a lot of deadlines and projects and suddenly, the Jazz Festival was upon us!
EEEP! I realized, once I started cutting out his vest, that I didn’t have enough fabric! eegads and little fish!
I madly warped up my Saori loom… on… you guessed it… the afternoon of Jim’s gig (blush)
Holy honkinhaleujah! my feet and hands were FLYING as I wove up the rest of his vest fabric! yikes!
It only has the border on one side because of the way I was piecing it into the vest.
I managed to get the fabric washed, dried and the machine stitching done….
but ending up doing the hand stitching as we drove in to the city for the concert.
Which was sold out and was great!
And so was the gig the next day with his other trio:
Blush…. I didn’t get the buttons, buttonholes and back belt done for a couple of days, when he had his next gig:
But… here he is, with his buttons and buttonholes in place!
and the belt on the back…. right over the freeformie, Saori weaving- I couldn’t resist sneaking it in 😀
(and my friend, Arwen, who has fab design sense, said she liked that bit the best 🙂 )
He likes it and says it’s very comfortable to wear.
This is essential, because, if it isn’t comfortable, there’s no way he’ll wear it to perform in.
I’m happy. 😀 It was a frantic rush at the end, but it was worth it for my Honeybunny 🙂
I used Simplicity #2741 as the pattern for this vest.